All Flesh is Grass
By Arlyne Moi
Norwegian College of Applied Art and Design,
Thesis for Masters Degree, 1998
Back to content
Approaching the theme of plant metaphor from many angles has facilitated
the creative process and formation of ideas, which were legion. I found
that a worn out theme which many consider unapproachable still holds
unlimited possibilities. No mater how urban our culture becomes, plants
will still provide metaphors by which we can understand our lives.
The process of simplification allowed for an ornamental approach to
flowers. Combining these with acrobatic figures created visual imagery
which was applied both with molded paper and various intaglio techniques,
re-sulting in objects related to two types of rooms. The book «Fallet»
is the third picture book for adults I have made while at school, and
I intend to produce more in the coming years.
Throughout this degree program many surprises occurred which form the
basis for possible future projects. I have developed a real love for
printmaking and messing about in workshops and hope to have my own some
- Achen, Henrik van, Gud og Hvermann, Bergen, 1994.
- Archer, Michael, Art Since 1960, London, 1997.
- Arnheim, Rudolph, Art and Visual Perception: A Psychology of
the Creative Eye, Berkeley, 1984.
- Ashmolean Museum, Innovations in Contemporary Print Making, Oxford,
- Attenborough, David, The Private Life of Plants, London, 1995.
- Danbolt, Gunnar, Kunst og forskning, i rapport fra konferansen
om kunstfaglig forskning 13-15 February 1992, Oslo, 1992.
- Flam, Jack, Matisse on Art, Oxford, 1990.
- Gombrich, Ernst, The Sense of Order, A Study in the Psychology
of Decorative Art, London, 1984.
- Grabar, Oleg, The Mediation of Ornament, Princeton, 1989.
- Herzog, Hans-Michael, The Art of the Flower, Bielfeld, 1996.
- Huizinga, J., The Waning of the Middle Ages, London, 1990.
- Kruse, Bjørn Den Tenkende kunstner, Olso, 1995.
- Loose, Adolph, Ornament og Forbrydelse, Reprinted in Tankebygninger,
- Nodelman, Perry, Words About Pictures, Athens, 1988.
- Rosenblum, Robert, Modern Painting and the Northern Romantic
Tradition. Friedrich to Rothko, Lon-don, 1983.
- Stevens, Peter, Patterns in Nature, London, 1977.
- Taylor, Paul, Dutch Flower Painting, London, 1995.
- Wolfe, Tom, The Painted Word, New York, 1975.
Back to content of All Flesh