Amy Welborn har på sin blog nylig skrevet om flere besøk i katolske kirker med østlig ritus, og opplevd rikdommen fra «Kirkens andre lunge». Hun oppsummerer sin erfaringer i sju punkt:
Some things I think a Latin Rite Catholic, new to the Eastern Catholic liturgies, might learn or take away:
1) A sense of antiquity and rootedness.
2) An encounter with beautiful, prayerful liturgical traditions.
3) Physicality – lots of bowing and kissing of icons and crosses, crossing oneself and so on.
4) Amid the elaborate ritual and lengthy prayers, a relaxed sense of what the congregation does.
5) The organic integrity of the chanted liturgy.
6) A pretty direct encounter, I think, with the catechetical function of liturgy.
7) An insight, perhaps, even if you have never attended the Extraordinary Form of the Latin Rite, what that is all about.
I kommentarene til hennes innlegg, finner vi også flere interessante ting:
When trying to describe what liturgy should “feel” like, I tell people that the Latin Rite Mass should look more like the Eastern Rites than a Lutheran service.
…. it’s important to remember that much of this physicality consists of making physical gestures of humility, mortification, self-effacement, and penance, and not in celebrating the wonderfulness of one’s self or one’s community, as physical participation seems to be construed in some other versions of the liturgy.
… I’ve been privileged to attend Divine Liturgy. I’m always impressed by two things: how small I am and how great God is, and how much He loves us. It really is heaven meeting earth in a way that’s more tangible than the Latin Rite. It involves all the senses.
… The Mass, as it is celebrated in the Latin-rite parishes that I have attended, has been essentially “protestantized” – in most places, it seems that there has been a thorough and conscious effort to eliminate any sense of Divine Mystery. The elimination of chant and polyphony in favor of contemporary “songs,” the rejection of incense except for a few major feasts, the proliferation of lay “ministers” around the altar, communion in the hand rather than the tongue, and the casual laid-back attitude of most celebrants all contribute to the loss of the Sacred, the sense that it is truly God we encounter in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
1 hendelser på “Hva kan vi lære av den ortodokse/østlige liturgien?”
Amen, amen, amen!