Bl.a. Catholic Herald skriver om erkebiskop Viganòs grundige (11 sider) dokument som ble offentliggjort lørdag. Der skriver erkebiskopen, som var nuntius i USA 2011-16, at veldig mange biskoper og kardinaler, også pave Frans, visste om det som i sommer ble McCarrick-skandalen. De skriver bl.a.:
….. Under the sanctions imposed by Benedict XVI, McCarrick “was to leave the seminary where he was living” and was also “forbidden to celebrate [Mass] in public, to participate in public meetings, to give lectures, to travel, with the obligation of dedicating himself to a life of prayer and penance,” Archbishop Viganò said.
The archbishop, who served as nuncio to the US from 2011 to 2016, said he did not recall exactly when the sanctions were imposed, but they had been applied either in 2009 or 2010.
He described a meeting with Pope Francis on June 23, 2013, in which he told the Pope: “Holy Father, I don’t know if you know Cardinal McCarrick, but if you ask the Congregation for Bishops there is a dossier this thick about him. He corrupted generations of seminarians and priests and Pope Benedict ordered him to withdraw to a life of prayer and penance.”
Archbishop Viganò writes that Pope Francis did not respond to this statement, and that McCarrick was able to resume his role as a public figure for the Church. ….